Since I’m a lazy bum and don’t really “work” on anything besides my game, I decided it’s probably a good idea to have weekly blog posts about the progress I’m making on my game, currently called “The Museum”. This allows me to gauge my progress, and make decisions based on them. So, here’s the work I got finished this week:

 

Layout

I completely changed the layout of the level structure last week, and decided it made sense enough to rework it into the game. I spent the first half of this week setting up the layout and used a bunch of cubes with temp textures as placeholders. I needed the layout to strike a balance between art museum with hanging art, and an environment that’s unique to each level. The level I’m currently working on takes place in a corporate office. Because of this, I decided to limit my color pallet and focus on lots of grey. I needed the level to evoke emotions of boredom, monotony, and dread. The reason for this is story related.

Here’s a part of the layout of the first level:

BP 1-3

 

GUI

Another big portion of what I worked on this week was the GUI. I had most of it in place, but I decided to polish it up a bit, fixing the positioning and coloring. Now, the GUI consists of 3 main elements. The first part is the ‘Score’ count on the middle top portion of the screen. On the upper right side of the screen, the player will be able to view the ‘Words’ they’ve collected. And on the bottom, there will be a steam of text that narrates the story of the game. Score, Inventory, and narration: these three make up the meat of the GUI.

There is also the GUI layout when locked on to an object. When locked on to an object, the ‘Words’ that were found in the upper right corner will turn into buttons. The player must find the right button to choose that corresponds with the locked on target. (I’m saving the specifics of the gameplay for a future post, definitely too complex to shoehorn into a weekly progress report!)

Here’s the current GUI:

BP 2-3

 

Other Random Stuff

I added a visual indicator for the player’s progress for the amount of interpretations needed to complete a painting. Before, I had it as a number out of a number (i.e. 2/6), but now I just have a wave of particles that have a constant force going up. When the particles reach the top of the painting, and the picture dims, then the player will know that they “beat” it. I really value non-text communication in video games, and it’s a thing I want to see more games do.

I added an overworld hub that actually makes sense in the context of the story. This actually took me a while to create, but thankfully I eased my stress by reminding myself that the overworld isn’t actually that important. I mean, it is important since every part of a video game is important, but relatively speaking I needed to focus on the core gameplay and make sure to refine the hard design edges and find the most efficient solutions. So, I focused on the first level and tried to create an experience for the player that will be most beneficial.

I also found a few cool 3D models online to use as placeholders (under creative commons) and decided to pose them and make sure they’re in the right positions. Hopefully when I find a 3D artist to collaborate with, they can replace it.

Here’s a screenshot:

BP 3-3

 

Hope to make more progress this weekend and the following weeks. Until next time!